April 12, 2006

In the Eye of the Beholder


The canadian town of Clemesport, Nova Scotia, has had a controversy about on man's art. Dou Duckrel, a used clthing salesman, hung 400 neckties in a tree and called it art. His neighbors disagreed. They called it ugly, vulgar and unsightly. The ties. Hanging in the tree for over a year, became worm and tatterd. Finally, after receiving six anonymous complaints, the county warden ordered Duckrel to remove the ties. He called them dangerous. They could distract drivers and cause acidents. Art or not, road safety settled the controversy.

This is what I first saw when I glanced at a telephone pole on 31st and Hennepin in Uptown Minneapolis the other day. A nice street-art project, I thought. A simple intervention that reminds us to live a verdant life, to embrace lushness and welcome abundance--and even tear a piece off. Or something.
Of course, I was a little skeptical: is this an ad for a band or a day spa? Am I being suckered by a buzz marketing campaign, some scheme to be paid off, eventually, by an ad for malt liquor?
I went back, this time with plenty of time and a camera. Here’s what I found.
Not sure which interpretation I prefer.